Ads 468x60px

Sunday, January 20, 2008

American Cheese

I really hate store-bought American Cheese. I was looking through a recipe book and came upon this recipe for home-made American Cheese. You've got to be kidding me, I thought. But I took a leap and made half a batch. I gave some to my brother who hates trying new food, and he actually liked it. It was a keeper.

This is the half-batch recipe. Even if you like it and are tempted to double this, don't. You'll be eating the cheese for months.

It's great with crackers or on zucchini bread (no, really!)

American Cheese

3/4 pound Cheddar cheese (mild or medium)
3/4 cup Water (very hot)
1/4 cup Nonfat dry milk
3/4 teaspoon Unflavored gelatin

Mix water and gelatin until dissolved. Process cheese in a food processor and slowly add the water/gelatin and milk. Process until smooth, adding more dry milk if necessary. Pour into a loaf pan* that has been lined with plastic wrap. Cover with more plastic wrap and chill overnight before unmolding. Keep cold and slice as needed.

*I used a baby loaf pan, about 2x4x2 inches. I suggest you find a container around the kitchen that looks about the size to hold the cheese (like a cottage cheese container). A regular loaf pan would be way too big.

No comments: