Ads 468x60px

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Tofu & Peas/Chicken & Peas

This is an incredibly easy, delicious, and filling dinner to make. The recipe calls for garam masala, but I really hate the taste. I've made this so many times and it's always gotten rave reviews.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Large Onion - chopped
  • 1 Package firm tofu, cubed/2lbs chicken thighs, cut up/2lbs chicken breast, but up (I recommend thighs if you're using chicken)
  • 2.5 Cups (or a regular sized bag) frozen green peas
  • 3 garlic cloves (or however many you like.)
  • 3 tbs. olive oil
  • 15.5 ounces Canned Diced tomatoes
  • 2 tps. garam masala if you're using it.
Instructions:
  • In a large skillet heat the oil and garlic cloves. When it's heated, cook the chicken or tofu. If it's chicken, place it in the skillet and sauté it until it's golden brown. For tofu, keep flipping it until it's golden brown on all sides. The recipe originally called for frying it in 2 cups of olive oil...obviously not so healthy.
  • After the chicken/tofu is golden brown, add in the onions and sauté until soft. Add in the tomatoes (undrained!), peas and garam masala, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
This is an incredibly hardy and filling dish, plus it's pretty to look at. Everyone who has tried has liked it, and my family is full of picky eaters who don't "that foreign stuff" I cook. When I cooked it with chicken I used bone-in thighs, which made it much heartier. Darker meat also tends to give more of a taste to the meal than white meat, however I'm prejudiced. No one in my family likes white.

1 comment:

Ivayla said...

Oh, that sounds like something we'd like, including the garam masala :).

I prefer dark meat too, but T. likes white. Considering that he eats 2/3 of most meals, we normally go with white.