Ads 468x60px

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Cambria's Dilly Bread

Since Cambria hasn't signed up here (gee, you'd think she has 2 kids and a baby on the way ;)), and her bread is awesome, I figured I'd post the recipe. Besides, it keeps the C-theme of all posts so far.

The original recipe is here: http://www.behindthename.com/bb/view.php?id=3094922&board=ot . The following is what I made while trying to ratchet down the dose to something more approriate for my two-person household. All cups are American cups that hold 240 ml of liquid. I will convert to metric later when I have the time.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon dill weed
1 tablespoon fresh minced onion
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
3/4 cup water*
1 teaspoon dry yeast

* Because the amount of liquid needed may vary depending on the quality of flour and size of eggs, take that measurement as a guideline. 3/4 cup was fine for me to form an elastic ball of dough suitable for a bread but if you need a few tablespoons more or less water, by all means adjust the quantity, especially if you are using a more watery type of cheese.

Directions:

For instructions on how to make it by hand, check Cambria's recipe. I used a bread machine for making the dough and just added everything according to the instructions of the machine.

If you use a bread machine, it proofs the dough, so you only need to take it out and bake it. Bake at 375 F (190 C) for about 15 min. Let it cool down in pan for 10 min and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

This is a very delicious bread, and the texture is very rich. I've gotten similar texture in breads with 3+ eggs and at least a cup of milk, and this version is obviously easier :). You can taste some of the sweetness of the ricotta in mine but it's not strong; that is definitely a savory bread. I think you would be able to eliminate the sweetness by actually following the recipe, which calls for cottage cheese (I had some ricotta that was close to its expiration date).

I've tagged it as 'easy' because I used a bread machine, but it might be medium difficulty if you make it by hand.

No comments: